Table of Contents
This post will be sharing my summer skincare routine for dry skin.
Last summer, I tried to figure out the kind of products my dry skin liked particularly during the heatwave. Obviously, I couldn’t continue to layer products the way I did during the winter or spring. Different seasons call for different skincare routines and dry skin is not left out.
Before the Summer arrived, I tried to stock up on lightweight products that I know my skin liked. As a result of COVID, there was only so many products that I could get. Instead, I decided to finish up all the old products that I had abandoned. So, I sorted my skincare stash and grouped the products accordingly.
At the moment, I’m proud of how well I’ve been able to customise my skincare routine to cater to my needs. I’ve also learnt how layer my products so well that I hadly ever have irritations. My routines have been such a work in progress and I’m so proud of it.
My AM Summer Skincare Routines
As a result of the lockdown, I currently have two morning skincare routines which I alternate every other day. There are days when I want to do my full routine and days when I couldn’t possibly be bothered. For most of lockdown, I wasn’t particularly consistent with my AM Routine. This meant that I wasn’t wearing sunscreen indoors. But then I noticed that my hyperpigmentation was coming back so I needed to fix it ASAP!
- No cleanser/Cleanse with water. On some days I don’t cleanse or cleanse with water because I cleanse the night before. Also, I don’t go out, sweat or wear makeup. So, I don’t need to do too much cleansing. If for some reason, I cleanse because I want to go out, I use my trusty Neutrogena Hydroboost Water Gel Cleanser
- Tone with Lacura Healthy Glow Rose Water. I got this from Aldi last year and I never finished it. So, I decanted it into a spray bottle and use it as a toner. It is perfect for the weather.
- Treat with The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%. This is one of my latest skincare purchases. I’m finally ready to introduce Vitamin C into my routine to balance the Retinol I introduced a couple of months ago.
- Protect with my good old’ Missha Essence Sun Milk SPF 50+++. I actually plan to swap this SPF with the Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream but it is still in transit.
- Oil Cleanse with B. Pure Micellar Oil Cleanser. I absolutely love this product which I got from Superdrug because my oil plugs almost always come out after cleansing for at least two minutes.
- Double Cleanse with my Neutrogena Hydroboost Water Gel Cleanser. It’s a staple because it works for my dry skin. I’m probably currently on my fifth bottle at the moment.
- Exfoliate weekly with The Ordinary AHA/BHA Peeling Solution. This has become a weekend staple and has taken its place on my Self Care Sunday Routine.
- Exfoliate every other day with the Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid. This is gentle enough for daily use.
- Tone with the Hada Labo GokuJyun Light Hydrating Lotion. I swapped this out for my Hada Labo Premium Lotion and my skin currently loves it!
- Hydrate with the Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence. Snail mucin is always a staple in my routine. I’m currently trying out different versions from different brands.
- Treat with The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin or Niacinamide.
- Moisturise with Cerave Moisturising Cream and The Ordinary Rosehip Seed Oil.
- Finish up with The Ordinary Caffeine Solution.
- Protect with Missha Essence Sun Milk SPF 50++
You can see that the second routine is more detailed which is why I do it every other day. You might be wondering if it is too heavy for the Summer. Actually, it’s not because my dry skin absorbs everything. Also, I tried to swap out the heavier products for lightweight products. The only product that probably feels heavy is the Cerave Moisturising Cream. But that’s because a good moisturiser is key to seal up all that hydration from the toner and essence.
My PM Summer Skincare Routine
- Cleanse with Simple Water Boost Micellar Cleansing Water
- Hydrate with Innisfree Jeju Orchid Skin or a sheet mask.
- Treat with The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% In Squalane
- Moisturise with Clarins Relaxing Sleep Mask. I currently prefer moisturising with sleeping masks than night creams. They leave my skin dewy and hydrated.
I’ve tried to simplify my PM routine as much as possible to encourage consistency. There is really no point in having multiple steps if you won’t be consistent with it.
Key Summer Skincare Tips
- Choose lightweight products
This goes without saying. You really don’t want to weigh down your skin with layers of skincare. Choose lightweight products and let your skin breathe before we move into the colder months again.
- Decant all water-based products into spray bottles
This has personally made the application of skincare products easier. It also helps to prevent waste. So, if your product is too light for your palms, it might be better off in a spray bottle.
- Exhaust all products that are not expired.
The lack of access to my staple skincare products has helped me clear my stash. Just like everyone, I have some products that I used a few times and abandoned. This Summer, I’ve decided to try and exhaust the products that are not expired like moisturisers and toners. For the ones that are no longer effective like my The Ordinary Mandelic Acid and The Ordinary Glycolic Toning Solution, I’ve been using them on my body until they run out.
- Test new variants of your staples
If you are picky about tampering with your skin with new brands, you can try new variants of your staples. For instance, in the absence of my staple Cosrx Snail Mucin Power Essence, I’m trying out the Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence. They both have high levels of snail secretion filtrates so you’ll probably get little to none irritation.
In conclusion, make sure you have fun with your Summer skincare routine because the colder months are just around the corner.
How does your Summer Skincare Routine currently look like?
If you enjoyed this post, please share by pinning this image.