Table of Contents
This post will be talking about The Ordinary Skincare Regimen for acne scars which you can use to achieve great results with your skin.
One of my skin concerns asides from having dry dehydrated skin is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Yes, I have dry skin and still break out. While my acne might not be as bad as someone with oily skin, I have my fair share which more often than not leaves behind acne scars.
Just like everyone else, I was incredibly excited when I discovered The Ordinary Skincare a couple of years ago. Finally, I could treat my skin concerns without breaking the bank. For the first time in forever, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel for my skin. I was excited to begin my journey with The Ordinary that would help me achieve my dream of glowing skin.
The first concern I decided to target was dryness. I used all the hydrating products available to treat my skin. Check out a detailed guide on The Ordinary for Dry Skin: Six Best Products. Next, I focused on slowly introducing other actives that would help with my acne. Check out another guide on The Ordinary Skincare Routine for Dry Acne-Prone Skin. At the moment, I’m currently working on tackling my acne scars.
If you are familiar with The Ordinary Skincare, you would know that you typically need to go through trial and errors to find the best products that work for your skin. As someone that uses these products regularly, my goal is to help other people skip the process of trial and errors and just pick the products that will work.
So, if you’re struggling with dark spots that have formed from acne scars or hyperpigmentation, this post is for you.
The Ordinary Skincare Regimen for Acne Scars: AM Routine.
Without much ado, here’s a sample regimen you can use to treat your acne scars. Depending on your skin type, you can include more hydrating products to balance your regimen.
- Cleanse with The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser. If you have dry skin and don’t wear wakeup, you can use this product alone. But if you wear makeup and have oily to combination skin, you might want to go in with a water-based cleanser.
- Hydrate with The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics. Every skin type needs hydration. It also helps with the absorption of other products.
- Treat with The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%. This is such an underrated serum for treating acne scars. When you combine Vitamin C and Alpha Arbutin together, you get a powerful serum will brighten your skin tone and fade acne scars together. Don’t sleep on it.
- Moisturize with The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors. This is a no-fuss moisturizer that is not too heavy and works for all skin types.
- Protect with The Ordinary Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 with Antioxidants. There’s really no point in fading your dark spots without sunscreen. You need sun protection to prevent them from getting darker which will make your efforts futile.
If you’re feeling completely intimidated and overwhelmed by The Ordinary skincare I recommend taking Extraordinary Skin With The Ordinary. The Ordinary speed training created by my scientist friend Cheryl Woodman. Cheryl’s helped hundreds of ladies see real-life results, first hand. Click here to find out more about the course and see their reviews.
The Ordinary Skincare Regimen for Acne Scars: PM Routine
While your AM routine is important, most of the heavy lifting will be done at night. So, you need to be consistent with this routine to get fast results.
- Cleanse with The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser. Always make sure you remove your sunscreen and/or makeup at night. Supplement with other water-based cleansers if necessary.
- Treat with The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2%. This is the first serum of the triad for dark spots. While Alpha Arbutin usually takes a while to work (3-6 months), combining it with other powerhouses will speed up the process.
- Treat with The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 2%. While this product is targeted towards those with oily skin, Niacinamide is also amazing for fading acne scars. So, you should definitely layer it in your PM Routine.
- Treat with The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%. The frosting on the cake is Azelaic Acid. it’s a powerhouse ingredient for brightening the skin tone and reducing the look of blemishes.
- Moisturize with The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors. You need to seal up all these goodness with a moisturizer.
Even if you don’t get any other products, Alpha Arbutin, Niacinamide and Azelaic Acid are KEY in fading acne scars. The more consistently you use them together, the faster the results you will get.
- Exfoliate with The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA. Mandelic Acid is amazing for fading acne scars because it is the most gentle Alpha Hydroxy Acid which means there is a little to no chance of your skin getting irritated compared to other AHAs like Glycolic Acid. Always remember that inflammatory/irritation can also lead to even more hyperpigmentation.
- Exfoliate with The Ordinary Salicylic Acid Masque for beginners or AHA/BHA Peeling Solution for advanced users. Supplementing your serums with exfoliation will help shed dead skin cells and unclog the pores that manifest as acne scars and hyperpigmentation faster.
I’m currently using a variant of this routine and I’m absolutely loving the results I’m getting. My dark spots are no longer taking forever to fade. One month alone of consistency usually gives me a significant difference. I hope you will found this post on The Ordinary Skincare Regimen for acne scars useful. Remember to be patient and consistent to get amazing results.
If you have used any of the products above, which are your faves? Share with me in the comments below.